Empowering Communities, Celebrating Minnesota Locally

Cause Of April 5 House Fire Determined

The State Fire Marshal has determined the cause of a house fire in Fosston. 

According to the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, improper use of a holiday light cord likely caused the blaze April 5th.  

Fosston Police Chief Jim Juve reminded residents that holiday light cords should be used to plug in holiday lights only, and not other devices. He also urged people not to use extension cords in combination with power strips. He says “Using those cords improperly may not seem like a big deal, but it is.”

The home’s occupant escaped uninjured from the single-family residence.